Friday, April 15, 2011

A Visual Explanation of Synthetic Biology

I found this video interesting because they compare the process of synthetic biology to designing an electronic computer system. An input and output are needed with a response being the intended goal. The synthetic DNA is compared to computer software that must be loaded into a host organism. The process is difficult and scientists go through a long process of trial and error when trying to develop these new DNA systems. There is a really good visual explanation of this concept in the video and there is also an animation showing how their synthetic DNA should work inside the host organism. They talk about a really cool idea of developing synthetic DNA and implanting it into an organism so that the organism could be added to water to determine if there are harmful parasites present. The organism would change color in the presence of a parasite, then die off so it wouldn’t cause environmental harm. This technology could prove very useful in developing countries where sanitation is lacking. It would be really cool if they could design it to kill the parasite as well, so the water would be safe to drink.



Synthetic Biology Documentry. 10 Feb. 2011. YouTube. Video. Web. 8 Apr. 2011.< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tfy8WM50Ss >



1 comment:

  1. Crazy! I understand the analogy of cells dna and computer software. So eventually this could lead potentially to any living thing being "programmed"? This sparks my philosophical thinking! I wonder if there are other lifeforms out there that have gotten to this point? I mean there is no way to prove/disprove it as of now I guess, but what if our DNA and other lifeforms on earth have "software" that has been created by other lifeforms and seeded on this planet! Its a crazy thought!

    Is there anyway to tell if DNA has been programmed?

    ReplyDelete