Monday, April 4, 2011

Spidergoats

This video mentions one current application of synthetic biology. The clip describes how scientists were able to create their own spider silk based on natural spider silk. That gene was then added to a goats genome to make the goats produce silk in their milk. It is almost impossible to raise spiders to harvest their silk because they would attack each other. This technology allows the silk to be produced by goats in large quantities that can be collected.

Transgenic Spidergoats brief. Field Test Film Corps. Video. Web. 27 Mar. 2011. <http://www.fieldtest.us/bio/videos/>

4 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea to combine the gene from the spider into the genome of the goat to produce two products at once. I wonder if this trend could keep going with many other types of animals? Combining two totally different animals genes/genomes together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update on this research. I ran across an article describing the next phase of this research involving inserting this silk gene into alfalfa plants which will produce more of the silk proteins at lower costs.

    http://www.physorg.com/news194539934.html

    Read the comments at the bottom of this article - an insightful overview of the public attitude to biotech. To some, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and to others it's just another sign of the apocalypse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sign of the Apocalypse? LOL!

    I think it's a great idea!
    I am able to better understand this concept now. A lady in the learning center was trying to tell me all about it but I didn't get it.

    So its goats producing silk!!! NOT goats producing "Silk" Soy milk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty sweet. You get two desired materials for the price of one. Plus it has no negative impact on the goats and their kids. I had no idea that there was such a high demand on silk. Expecially spider silk, but when its so flexible and strong i would see why it is in high demand. Being that it could act as bullet proof jacket!

    ReplyDelete